Monday, July 27, 2009

Why Me?

As I begin this new venture there is one question that keeps jumping into mind, “why, in God’s name, are you starting a blog?” This is, in fact, an excellent question. Aren’t there enough people out there clamoring for our attention? Around 100,000 to 160,000 people start a blog each month. Do that many of us really have something to say, or more importantly, something worth hearing? If the numbers alone didn’t make me question whether this venture was necessary, then my profession would. A great many people in my profession believe that blogging is an exercise in narcissism and they probably have a point. If it was simply about self growth, then we would put it in our private little journal and not broadcast it to the world. If one is blogging, then on some level that person must believe that others should hear what you have to say, and isn’t that a little narcissistic?
So with so many people out there blogging away, what do I have to add to the mix? I am a very smart woman, but I am certainly not the smartest individual on the face of the Earth and quite frankly, most people don’t get my intelligence. It’s just a little too quirky for the masses. I am not particularly funny. And while I am profoundly passionate, I am not dogmatic or zealous. I do have my unique point of view, but doesn’t every unique individual on the planet, when it comes right down to it.
And then there is my final objection to starting this blog, which is people, can be mean. I have not maintained my sanity by inviting people’s cruelty into my life. But is that not what I am doing with this activity? Human beings have a very hard time respectfully disagreeing with others. I will say things that people disagree with and while some will say “here’s what I think”; some will say “you are (stupid, ignorant, evil, etc) because you believe that”. Being a person who is sensitive to negativity, that will hurt me and I don’t look forward to it.
So with all of that said, we are back to the original question, “why, in God’s name, are you starting a blog?” And I only have one answer, “because I have to”. I don’t know why this is, but I have learned to trust myself when I am propelled to do something. I do not know that I have anything unique to offer beyond my perspective and I am fully prepared for this to be a colossal failure, but I have to do it. This is not nearly as large a calling as having my children or pursuing my career were, but it is calling me, and if I have learned one thing in life, it’s go when you’re called.

4 comments:

  1. "I have learned to trust myself when I am propelled to do something."

    This is my favorite part of your first post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your perspective is unique if only because it is yours and yours alone. It will be for that uniqueness that I will continue to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I've found almost nothing but support for my online outbursts...and I pride myself on being the most antagonistic, self-important blogger around. If anything, people ask me to be meaner.

    So let it all hang out. They like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I am linking to it on my google reader and making sure to keep up with it. I love that you are going with your intuition and doing what you feel you must. Sending tons of positive energy your way!!

    ReplyDelete